Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The Platte Clove Community

On Sunday some friends from the Platte Clove Community came by for a visit. They live just up the road in a converted summer camp at the base of Roundtop Mountain. Formerly known as the Hutterian Brethren or the Bruderhof, the Platte Clove Community is a faith-based group of about two hundred people who work, play, and sing in harmony. Even though they’ve chosen to do without a lot of modern technology, they have the largest hot-water solar collector in the Northeast.

Two of their kids posed making funny faces for a scene in the new Dinotopia book Journey to Chandara. I had just received an advance bound copy from the publisher, so I brought it along to show them. Here they are holding the book and this time not making faces.

We had a potluck picnic supper on the porch, with sweet corn, potato salad, and grilled burgers made from beef they raised.
Later we made s’mores, ate watermelon, and sang songs around the campfire.

5 comments:

K_tigress said...

Very cool. Looks like lots fun and lots of delectable foods.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gurney,
I enjoyed reading your blog. I spent many of my NYC summers as a child and a teenager wondering Platte Clove Road and the adjacent mountains. Both of my parents passed away in a house a mile from the Bruderhof. Did you know that the Bruderhof was the Police Recreation Center run by the NYC PBA? I am a Marine and not a very artsy person but I know what I like. The paintings and sketches of my wilderness womb brought back strong memories of happy summers. I like that. The sketch of Jimmy Morton tells the story of a wonderul man and the people of this region. It is priceless. I like that.
My wife and I return to the old house in September, after a ten year absence, for a few days of hiking and contemplation. I am sure we will pass the red cabin a few times.

Semper Fidelis,
RJ Easter
CWO4 USMC Retired

James Gurney said...

Hi, Bob,
While I was up at the Bruderhof, they had an open house day in honor of the people who used to go to the old police camp. They even have a monument there to pay respect to the memories of people who spent their summers there. You're lucky to have childhod memories of such a magical place.

Anonymous said...

James, this is too fun, I just found this page! I'll be watching as you and Jeannette do your journey, and I'll try not to respond to every post! but it was fun to see how you spent the rest of your week at the cabin. sorry we didn't make it back down again, it just got so busy...

It was interesting reading this post by RJ Easter. I remember his mother and know the house he's talking about, its the one just before the Prediger Road turn off if you are going out to T'ville.

in great friendship,
carmen for the Hinkeys

Colin Boyer said...

My mother was raised on a farm. There, she prepared herself a steak from a cow that she had considered her friend. Because of this, she no longer eats meat.